Please review the following information carefully, answering all of the questions. We will not accept a CV--extensive curriculum vitae and/or research proposals.
Please complete the online application. Letters of recommendation may be mailed or emailed and must be received by February 1 for fellowships that start in July of the same year. All mailed or emailed letters must be originals. Emailed letters must be on author's letterhead, submitted by author, and in PDF format. For last-minute mail, please use overnight or second-day service.
Please note that Heed Fellowships are merit awards paid directly to the Fellow. The awards may not be reduced by the institution for any reason.
- Graduate from an accredited medical school, school of osteopathic medicine, or holder of ECFMG certificate.
- Must complete fellowship within 3 years of residency.
- Fellowship has to take place in the United States.
- A minimum of 20% of the fellowship is required to be spent in research.
- Only US citizens, which includes naturalized citizens, are eligible.
- If selected, the merit award will be paid directly to the Fellow and may not be reduced by the institution for any reason.
- A personal statement of ophthalmic interest which should include details of anticipated research. It can be copied/pasted from a Word document.
- A letter of recommendation from the Ophthalmology Department Chair who supervised your residency training.
- A letter from the Preceptor of your fellowship program describing your fellowship program, including if the fellowship is AUPO Fellowship Compliance Committee (AUPO FCC) compliant, and a statement that a minimum of 20% of fellowship will be spent in research.
- Two (2) additional letters of recommendation from physicians who have supervised you.
- A letter of acceptance at institution where you matched for your fellowship - can be a copy of applicant's match letter.
- A letter of recommendation from the department Chair who has provided an academic appointment - optional.
- Deadline for receipt of completed application is February 1 (annually). Please check at least one week before deadline to confirm that application is complete by e-mailing - lbrown(at)aao.org.
- Prior to submitting your application, you will have the ability to input information, save it, and/or go back and complete it before the deadline. However, once it is submitted, the Heed Administrator cannot unlock the application for revisions. The Administrator can delete the application. At that time you can re-input the information and re-submit it prior to the deadline. Please note that it is important for you to print a copy of your application in the event you need to go back for future updating.
- It may take 4 weeks or longer for letters to be uploaded to applications. This will occur after the deadline, and is not a problem as long as you have met your deadline. Once everything is uploaded, you will receive an e-mail notification indicating that your application is COMPLETE.
- A certificate of completion of the one-year Heed Fellowship will be sent to you at the completion of the year's fellowship only after 'fellowship experience reports' are completed by you; these will be requested from you a few times during the year by the Heed Administrator.
- During and after the Heed Fellowship, it is important to communicate all e-mail or address changes to the Heed Administrator at lbrown(at)aao.org.
Mail all letters/correspondence to:
Heed Ophthalmic Foundation
c/o Lisa Brown
655 Beach Street
San Francisco, CA 94109